Monday, March 24, 2014

The Vintage Chanel Camera Bag



There is something about the 1940s that gets me every time. I dont know if its the hats and hair, the pleats, shoulder pads and peplums or just a feeling, romanticizing an era through love of fashion. I love how bold the trends were, wearing high heels and high rolled curls. Women dared to be women while also learning to wear the pants, which Katherine Hepburn did so wonderfully, and quite literally.





Inspired by the 40s, I finally hid away some time this past week to design and make a new dress. I found this wonderful red floral print that I couldnt believe wasnt vintage. Up close, it  reminds me of a 1940s fabric meets early Andy Warhol drawing. I had quite a time drafting the pattern as I ran out of pattern paper and had to use newsprint (the art paper not newspaper - never use news paper on good fabric as the ink can transfer). Its just a simple everyday 1940s design, because I wanted to let the fabric shine. I am crazy about the way silk crepe drapes at the waist and hips on a feminine silhouette. For me its one of the subtle nuances in design that just catches the eye. If you know it, it just sings, if you dont, its that certain something that you love about a dress but cant put your finger on it.





One of my favorite places in New York City is Soho, a place that teems with fashion. Its in the air, soaking into the historic cobble stone streets and architecture and vividly residing in vintage perfection at What Goes Around Comes Around. They house the biggest vintage designer collection I have found in one store. Every piece is more amazing than the next and a definite stop to shop if you are ever in New York.






I got to wear this beautiful vintage Chanel camera bag from What Goes Around Comes Around. The nice weight of the signature chain strap and the feeling inspired by carrying Chanel made my day quite bright. I felt like I was walking on the set of an Audrey Hepburn movie through the streets of Soho (although her movies were a bit later than the 40s).






Dress: Paper Mothball Vintage (fabric from Mood)
Swing Coat: Vintage 1940s
Handbag: Vintage Chanel, What Goes Around Comes Around
Hat: Vintage 1940s
Stockings & Merry Widow: What Katie Did
Shoes: MadeWell
Hair Clip: Anthropologie



For everyone who voted to help me choose red or yellow buttons, thank you so much for your advice! I finally chose red, as I felt the yellow was a little to intricate and over powering for the print. I will definitely use them on another design though. They are so reminiscent of vintage jewelry like buttons - I might even pin them in my hair or make them into earrings.












21 comments:

  1. Perfection! What a nice dress and hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Loved your new macaroon post! xo

      Delete
  2. I love the mocha colors with the cheery red print to break it all up and keep it playful. Plus the bright lippie. Your skin is perfectly luminous in this shoot. Unfair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so gorgeous and sooo talented! That dress looks perfectly vintage - great fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the fabric really makes the dress by itself!

      Delete
  4. Oh Laura dear you are just heavenly sent! I think Kate Middleton would be happy to have you as her designer! Perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would love to borrow some things from her closet!

      Delete
  5. so beautiful! i totally would have thought that fabric was a reproduction rayon if you didn't mention it. And i know what you mean about the waist detailing. the teeny little pintucks to get just enough bust shaping. such a basic technique, but the results quite lovely!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had to go back and buy another 3 yards of it!

      Delete
  6. What a great model you are and so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hat and hair do both very fun! Great job lovely!

    -Chelsey
    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its quite a hat! and a lot of fun ;)

      Delete
  8. Lovely outfit, the hat is so interesting, must try to create a similar one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Do you do millinery? Would love to see.

      Delete
  9. Amazing!!
    My deeply admiration from Spain and sorry for my english. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laura, this dress is beautiful, you're a very talented clothier. I featured this look on fashion blog noi h. saf, you can see your feature at
    http://noi-h-saf.blogspot.ca/

    hope you like!
    Let me know what you think

    ReplyDelete